Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Asking Isn't Easy

When you've fundraised for the better part of a decade on behalf of orphans, widows and vulnerable children, you kind of feel like a broken record asking people to donate.  It literally goes against all of my introverted qualities.  My driving force is the difference I know that it makes for those we have the privilege of working with in Ethiopia.  The impact that your donations have go far beyond our family.  Whole communities are being changed through child sponsorship and family  training and discipleship.  They have been offered self-sustaining solutions that give dignity and hope as a result of God working through the generosity of many.
Our sponsor child Besufakad and his mother and baby sister

My life has been completely changed from going and I know that our girls will have the same life changing experience.  I was 31 years old before my eyes were opened. 
To have this experience at age 12 is priceless.  But of course there is a price to be paid.  Plane tickets will cost $5000-$6000.  It sounds like a ridiculous amount of money to spend.  Many will ask why we don't just donate that money to the organizations directly.  Wouldn't that have more of an impact?  I vividly remember standing with a HopeChest staff member in Ethiopia and he looked at me and said, "Tell them to come. The monetary support is helpful, but what the kids crave are relationships." 
One of my very favorite pictures I've ever taken in Ethiopia.  It hangs in my home, a beautiful reminder of this mother and her twins who are now thriving.
Me and the twins one year after the above picture was taken.

That has always stayed with me and I am so very thankful to have had the opportunity to travel to Ethiopia 8 times in 8 years and spend time with the beautiful people there.  I know that everyone can't go, but you can all be a part.  Every little bit really does make a difference. 

So here's my shameless plug.
Donate here 

Any amount will help get the girls to Ethiopia.  I know the smaller numbers are all gone, but don't let that stop you from giving $10, $20, any amount.  It all adds up and together we can make a difference.

My co-worker Tina worked on this beautiful blanket for about a week.  A labor of love as she works full time and is an excellent nurse.  Her talents are many and she crocheted this blanket to be auctioned off for the girls' fundraiser.  She normally sells them for $100.







So here's what we're going to do.  

The next 10 donations of $25 or more will be entered into a drawing
 to win this handcrafted full sized Disney inspired blanket. 

Just go to the girls' link http://www.acharityproject.com/f/NameYourNumber  
to donate and once we've received 10 donations, we will draw the lucky winner live on facebook.  Please be sure to leave your email and full name so that we can send the blanket to you if we do not know you personally.

One of my favorite verses as it so clearly speaks to my heart:

Thanks for lending a hand and naming your number!





No comments:

Post a Comment