Monday, March 7, 2011

MOUNTAIN MOVING PRAYERS

That's what I've been praying today. As I posted last week, many changes are happening with Ethiopian adoptions right now and it is a pretty uncertain time to say the least.

So, instead of worrying myself to death over all the different scenarios (I did that this weekend-driving me and my husband crazy:) that could take place with our case, I decided to pour over scripture instead (quite a bit more productive than my first plan of attack). Over and over, scripture points to the fact that our God is in the business of miracles and he is able to do all things. I repeatedly came across scripture emphasizing the power of prayer and petition.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Throughout this second adoption process, I've had quite a bit of peace (unexplainable at times). Even when we had our first court date, I prayed about it, but I trusted that everything would work out in God's timing (which I still believe to be true) and I can't say that I "petitioned" for a favorable outcome-although of course that is what we were hoping for. Now, I'm not saying that I didn't pray enough and that's why we didn't pass the first time. I'm just saying that this issue may deserve a little more focused time with the Lord than I was giving it (we are after all in a battle with an enemy that hates adoption).

I feel like maybe in an effort to be really relaxed about our adoption this time that I may have been depending more on my own patient spirit than on the holy spirit. As with all of life's trials, they are designed to teach and this is just another opportunity for me to die to myself and follow more fervently after the Lord.

So, as I read today, I noticed a couple of things that kept coming up.

First, I need to be diligent in my prayer and ask specifically for my heart's desire. I'm praying with a renewed passion that we will pass court even before our court date on March 18th (miracle working God-remember-it could happen). I'm also praying for a miraculously fast assignment of a final court decree and for all of our embassy paperwork to be in order when it is submitted to the embassy so that we may be assigned a timely pick up date (embassy appointments have taken as long as 15 weeks to be assigned lately, so I'm praying that "R" will not have to wait that long after we pass court to be given clearance to come home).

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

I also am going to try to take delight in the LORD, instead of our circumstances. Psalms 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the Lord (in other words, seek your happiness in the Lord) and he will give you the desires of your heart." He knows that it is the desire of our family's heart is to have our daughter home as soon as possible, but it is even more desirable that I find my happiness, my joy, and my contentment in Him first.

LORD Almighty, blessed is the one who trusts in you. Psalms 84:12

We have several friends that are also caught up in the process of getting their kids home, so I am praying for God to move mountains in their cases as well and for us all to pray with renewed intensity and without doubt that we serve a God who has a heart for the fatherless and a God that is able to overcome any obstacle that is delaying our children's home comings.

Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Matthew 21:21-22

2 comments:

  1. Very great attitude about the uncertainties. A couple of things that held me together was:

    "If it's not in alignment with God, it will have to comply." Every time we had a hurdle, I would visualize God orchestrating everything to fulfillment in His perfect timing.

    The following verse kept my faith strong:"I know you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2

    My prayers for you and your family and the many other Ethiopian adoptions being held up.

    ReplyDelete