Sunday, August 14, 2011

He Who Controls The Water Controls Life



In church today, our pastor taught from Genesis 21:22-34. It's a passage about Abraham and King Abimelek and the treaty they made at Beersheba. Prior to making the treaty about the land there, Abraham told King Abimelek that his servants had seized the well that Abraham had dug. Without the well, Abraham knew that the land was useless to him. How could he thrive without water? How could he grow crops and feed his cattle and take care of his family without water? Without the well, there would be no life for him in this land.

Then our pastor made the statement, "He who controls the water controls life."

It made me think of all of the people suffering in Africa right now from the drought. The images are haunting and the stories of their struggles heartbreaking.

The problem seems overwhelming--and it really is. The magnitude of the problem is too much for anyone to fix by themselves, but we can all do something.

My friend Heather posted this on her blog:
“We can do no great things, only small things with great love” ~ Mother Theresa

“Don’t fail to do something, because you can’t do everything” ~ Bob Pierce, Founder of World Vision



By providing Trees of Glory with a fresh water well, we are able to help protect this community from the effects of the drought and enable them to help more people.
We've been away for a week, so I hadn't checked my email for a while. I quickly scanned for any donations that had been made. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed to only find one donation in my inbox. My disappointment quickly turned to joy and excitement when I opened that email and found that it was a $1000 donation made by some friends of ours who also hold Ethiopia dear to their hearts (you know who you are--THANK YOU SO MUCH)!


I quickly emailed Karen with the news and she wrote me back and said that with that donation, we are now only $1500 away from raising ALL of the money needed to complete the well project!!!!

Just like that, one family made a difference for a whole community.


Thank you again to all who have contributed to this project. Here's how you can help if you still want to help out with the Trees of Glory Well:



My friend Heather has another purse auction going with all proceeds donated to TOG




For just $5 you can enter to win this authentic coach bag. Go to http://onepurse.org/ for details.



For just $10, you can purchase an Ethiopian bracelet via this blog (click on the link at the top left side of my blog).



Donate via my donate button.



Or, go to the Hopechest site and give directly to the well fund:



Go to www.hopechest.org, click on GIVE
Select DESIGNATED GIFT and specify the dollar amount of your donation
In the Reference Number, specify ET2119000
In the Notes area, specify TOG WELL


ALMOST THERE!!!

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for you and this project. The minute these words came out of his mouth, I looked over and you were writing it down! Can not wait to see what God does with the small things you are doing with great love!!!

    ReplyDelete