Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October Update

So since it looks like I'll only be updating here about once a month, lets do a little update from the past few weeks.

Up first, my dad turned the big 6-0!

He celebrated in style with a trip to the movies, Smurfs of course.  Isn't that what all 60 year olds do on their birthdays?


We had the entire movie theatre to ourselves.  The beauty of an early afternoon movie on a Wednesday.  Yet another perk of homeschooling and a free birthday party tip to you all, go when schools are in and your kids will think you reserved the whole place for them.


You just have to hope this crew doesn't crash the party.


Cake and ice cream after the show.

Happy birthday Paw Paw.


Next up was our annual trip to Disney.  This year, we managed to work enough Disney road races along with a few donated tickets that we didn't have to pay for anyone to get in!  That's about an $800 savings--just to walk in the door (which is completely crazy).  As much as I don't like getting up at 3 am to pass out water (the passing out water part is great, but the getting up at 3 am, not so much), I don't like paying for Disney tickets even more, so the tradition will continue. Good news is once Rahel turns 12 in January, she can start volunteering with us and earn her own ticket.  One day we'll have the whole crew with us and we'll be able to earn some serious free tickets!




My parents came too which makes things a lot easier!


And we've convinced these good friends to join us in our ticket venture.  They drove down twice from South Carolina to volunteer with us and then again to finally GO to Disney.  Such a fun time!


Eli taking the wheel.

Hermela's dream came true at the happiest place on earth when she was selected to "star" with Belle as the Beast in a new show in Fantasyland.  It was super cute.



Buddies sweating it out in late September.  Yes, we do fall at 90 degrees here at the Magic Kingdom. Marla asked, "why is it always hot in Florida?"


 Taking flight with dad on the magic carpet ride.
  
My flying buddy.




Trying to get my obligatory family photo.  They were all so obliging.


 And Rahel captured the grand finale in the sky.  We had such a fun day and fit in just about everything.  I do have to admit to one mini break down.....on my part (the kids were great) when my plans for watching the parade and fire works didn't quite work out according to schedule (I'm so flexible though, that I was easily able to get over it ;-)  Other than that, it was a day filled with excitement, laughter, friends, family and lots of great memories.



And finally, we had a banana bread bake off in school last week.  I paired the kiddos up and we got to work reading the recipe, measuring and mixing until our house was filled with the yummy smell of freshly baked banana bread (three whole loaves, which you'd think would have lasted a while, but only made it 2 days before it was all gobbled up).  Our whole family loves this delicious recipe that I found several years ago and I make it several times each month.  I add chocolate chips to the bread to make it extra tasty.  





I think this will be one of the things my kids remember about their childhood....mom's banana bread. 
                                                                       I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment