Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lightening Stikes Twice


So we sustained our second fracture. We went six years without any broken bones and now we've had two in the past six weeks. My poor little Meron ran behind our tree swing just as Nick (who was swinging with Caroline) came swinging back. He never saw her, only felt her as he bump into her. She came into the house (I was making dinner) with a mouth full of mulch and a little bump on her forehead. I cradled her in my arm to hold her like a baby and she said, "owie mommy, this one" and pointed to her left shoulder. I just thought, "you've got to be kidding me." She was pointing to the exact same spot that Hermela had fractured several weeks ago. After evaluating her, I was pretty sure that she too had fractured her collar bone-which an x-ray
confirmed this morning.
I already had the brace from Hermela and tylenol with codeine-which is really all you can do for a fractured collar bone, but thought it was probably a good idea to take her in anyway to document the injury. I imagine it looks a little suspicious to have a mom bring her two daughters to the same clinic six weeks apart for the exact same injury-what are the chances? The doctor didn't ask any leading questions and said it is a fairly common bone for kids to break, so I don't think we're under investigation, but the thought did cross my mind. I'm sure that a lifetime of malnourishment has led to rather frail bones as well.
The only good new in all of this is that Meron is tough as nails and doesn't seem to be fazed by the whole ordeal. When I put the brace on her she said, "Hermela share, me all done me share Caroline." I told her that it was very thoughtful to want to share the brace with Caroline, but that we hope we don't have any more broken bones anytime soon. Praying for a speedy recovery for my strong little girls.

4 comments:

  1. We are praying that she is better soon. I love the pics. You amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it heals up really soon! I love that she still has a huge smile in the picture. All of your updated pics are adorable!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a bummer! At least she looks really happy about it. ;) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I just got caught up on your blog. I haven't had much time on the computer lately. I love all the pictures and hope that i get better at posting pictures soon. We really need to talk soon. I think we are starting to come out of the "fog" too. Tempers are less often and it is feeling more like a routine and normal around here. Love the blog updates!!

    ReplyDelete