Monday, March 25, 2019

Water at Hope for Korah

A few friends and I will be traveling back to Ethiopia in two weeks. When I left last November, I truly didn't know when I would be back, but I thought it would be quite a long time.  God had other plans, and we have an amazing opportunity to serve in Gondar (lots more on that coming soon). 

 We will be spending one day in Addis visiting with some of our friends.  One organization we will visit is Hope for Korah, which holds a special place in all our hearts. You may remember my posts about sweet Ato Tirasu from our November visit. Read this post about a need Ato Tirasu and his friends at the Elder's compound have.

Yesterday was World Water Day and Jake, who is living in Korah shared, " I am boiling water for my shower. We have been without water for 16 days. My tanker ran out 4 days ago, so I am using jugs of water."

Wow! Water what a precious gift! How easily we take it for granted and how often we forget that "billions of people in the world are living without safe or accessible water" (UN website quote). In Korah, it is never a 'given'. Water is often not accessible in one's home and requires carrying jugs quite a distance, or the city of Addis can unexpectedly turn it off, at any time. To combat this and promote health and hygiene, we have installed water tankers and sinks in our Berta compound. In this photo Firkerte, one of our cooks, is washing dirty cups with her children, after our morning Berta Breakfast program. 


WE DO HAVE A NEED for one more water tanker! In order to bring clean water and a shower to our Elders' Home, so that they can properly bathe, we are needing to elevate and build a tanker as well as purchase a water heater and pump. If you would like to help with this project please contact us at office@hopeforkorah.com or give at https://www.hopeforkorah.org/elders-leprosy-home.html(scroll down page) and specify in the note, Hope for Korah - "Water for Elders". Thank you!



Hearing of this need I immediately flashed back to the day we cared for Ato Tirasu and the makeshift way in which we bathed him.  Water had to be carried in, boiled to heat it up and then be poured out of a pitcher.  I felt terrible because Ato was shivering with cold.  Several of the other tasks we had to perform to care for him were complicated by the fact that there was no running water on the compound.

This tanker will make such a difference to the precious men served at the Elder's Compound and my friends and I would love it if you'd help us raise the money needed to complete this project.  The tanker is just $180 and with supplies, plumbing and labor the whole project can be completed for $500.  

Donations can be given at https://www.hopeforkorah.org/elders-leprosy-home.html as described above, or to me via https://www.paypal.com/us/home  "Friends and Family" to jirvin79@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment