Monday, April 15, 2019

April 9, 2019 Ethiopia Day 1


As I reflect on the past five days, I am in awe of God’s abundant goodness and sovereignty.  Each step along the road to this point has been so carefully scripted the I can clearly see the hand of God working out the details. 

We spent our first day in Addis catching up with friends and visiting our sponsor kids at I Care.  Our first stop was Hope for Korah to visit Jake and learn more about the Berta feeding program.  This is a similar program to what we hope to implement in Gondar and Jake offered us invaluable information that will help us to move forward in this endeavor.

We also visited with the elders.  My sweet Ato Tirasu was able to get himself up and move about on his own.  It was so good to see him is such an improved condition.  Thank you again to all who donated for the water tanker and heater for the elders’ compound.  I know this will make such a difference for them.  

There has been a water shortage, so the ability to store water will certainly improve 
their quality of life.


We also had the privilege of touring the newly renovated clinic at Hope for Korah.  It is always hard for me when I go to Ethiopia and see the great need for proper medical care.  I’ve seen so many times how something that could have been easily treated or prevented, left without attention, turns into a major problem.  This facility will give the HFK staff the ability to better serve the needs of those in the program and promote wellness.

We did some shopping at Lila Products and Korah Beth Coffee, two organizations that benefit those living in Korah.



Next we had a delightful visit with our I Care sponsor kids.  Aeyne and her staff are always so welcoming, and it is always a joyous time to be with our kids.  Besufakad, Edilawit and Genet all looked happy and healthy.  I really got to see Besufakad’s personality light up and his baby sister finally warmed up to me.








Then it was off to Gondar.

I was excited to see this new part of Ethiopia that God has called us to.  We flew in over Lake Tana just as the sun was setting on this mountainous terrain.  Home to one of the largest universities, Gondar is a blend of rural land mixed with bustling city life.  We loaded up our 12 suitcases packed with donations and made our way up the mountain to our hotel.  



As I attempted to fall asleep that night, I was filled with anticipation of meeting the kids and staff that God had called us to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment