Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Special Needs

On Thursday, Jeanie, Aimee and I arrived shortly before the other girls, so we headed downstairs to the rooms that are home to two sweet special needs boys, Nardos and Makbeal.  The two boys are lovingly cared for by their "mothers," two committed ladies who nurture them daily.


They both struggle with disabilities that affect their mobility as well as their ability to chew and swallow and communicate.  

I first saw this picture of Nardos a couple of months ago and couldn't wait to 
scoop him up in my arms.


He is such a handsome boy!

At age 3, he is quite small and suffers from cerebral palsy and spastic quadriplegia. 

 He let me examine him, 


and even smiled, 


until I flipped him on to his belly and then he let us know that he did not approve!

I treasure the time I had with him.


Jeanie spent some sweet time with 4 year old Makbeal who suffers from hydrocephalus and seems to have some respiratory concerns as well.



We got him up in a chair so that he could play and interact better.  

He loved it!


I've mentioned that medical needs are especially hard for me, because as a pediatric nurse practitioner, my natural tendency is to make things better, too fix the problem and help each child reach their full potential.

I firmly believe that every life has value and that we should do everything possible to ensure that these boys, as well as the other special needs kids at Bridge of Hope, have the highest quality of life.

I commend the mothers for the way they care for these children.  
It is exhausting as they are often crying and discontent.  
They require round the clock care.

At one time, a physical therapist was coming weekly to work with the children, but because of lack of funding, therapy is not possible at this time.

I awoke in the middle of the night on my first night back in the States researching their conditions and various therapy chairs and equipment that may help them.  There is so much that could be done to improve their daily routines.  I am heartbroken at the thought that they have not been able to receive therapy that could greatly improve their lives.

We are reaching out to any contacts who may be able to collaborate with us to provide the care they need both here and in Ethiopia. Please contact me if you have any connection or expertise in this area, therapy equipment or pediatric wheel chairs that you'd be willing to send over on our next trip.

We also met several kids that we are working to refer to local hospitals for care. With so many needs, it is hard to know where to begin, but we have already seen God provide in amazing ways for these children and I know that he brought us to them so that we could advocate for their needs. I am praying with eager expectation of what God will do for them and through them and invite you do the same.


In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my 
requests before you and wait expectantly. 
Psalms 5:3



No comments:

Post a Comment